Braies and Braies Valley
The picturesque Braies Valley in the UNESCO World Natural Heritage site of the Dolomites
Only 10 minutes from Dobbiaco embedded in the alpine plateau of the Fanes-Senes-Braies Nature Park you find the unique mountain world of the Braies Dolomites with their bizarre and seemingly inaccessible peaks and the picturesque Braies Valley with the harbours S. Vito, Braies di Dentro and Braies di Fuori. The community is at 1,213 metres above sea level and has about 700 inhabitants.
The Braies Valley offers idyllic spots, quietness and unspoiled nature. Here you can experience the century-old traditional life of farmers, scenting alpine meadows in deep green tones and a rich variety of plants, dense needle forests, and the spicy alpine air in the legendary Dolasilla Reign.
In summer 2010 Terance Hill is here for his film shoot. In the film "Un passo dal cielo" (One step from heaven) the famous actor plays a forester in the Braies Dolomites.
Tips in Braies:
Dolomites – Symbol and Unesco World Natural Heritage site
- Braies Lake is located at 1,494 m above sea level and presents itself as a romantic, wild lake embedded in the mountains and the forest. The lake is reigned by the imposing Croda del Becco Mountain (2,810 m). A legend provides the area with mystic and magic.
- Prato Piazza is a very popular high alpine plateau in the Dolomites in the Fanes-Senes-Braies Nature Park. The plateau is at about 2,000 metres above sea level and is located at the eastern end of the Braies Valley surrounded by the Croda Rossa, Three Peaks, Tofana and Monte Cristallo Mountains.
- Hikes to Picco di Vallandro, Malga Cavallo and the Three Peaks.
- Viktor Wolf Edler von Glanwell – new theme path in Braies!
- Experience culture and customs during the processions, on Church Day, and the Sacred Heart of Jesus mountain fires.